by Brad Biggs
January 03, 02013
The NFL is a never-say-never kind of business but New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz feels pretty confident about the chances of receiving the multi-year contract he is seeking.
Cruz said early in the season that parameters for a contract were in place but clearly not all of them were lined up because the deal never got done.
"It got tabled for a couple weeks, mainly because of the two sides agreeing to disagree at the same time," Cruz said during an appearance on WFAN, according to Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPN New York. "So it had been tabled for a couple weeks, but now that the season’s over and the statistics are what they are, I think we’re going to get back and pick up the pen again and see what we can do."
The Giants don’t have to make a move. Cruz will be a restricted free agent in 2013 and the club could always tender him but if that happened, chances are things could become messy. Cruz is headed to the Pro Bowl after catching 86 passes for 1,092 yards and 10 touchdowns. He was a constant in a passing game that couldn’t always rely on Hakeem Nicks because of injuries.
“Obviously, you never know, it’s all negotiations, but I feel positive that I’m gonna be in New York for a very long time," Cruz said. "And I feel positive that myself and my agents will get something done with the management of the Giants.”
Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs
Brad Biggs covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune