Marcus Lattimore says doctors will be “shocked, I can tell you that” when he meets with them later this week at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

The former South Carolina running back said this during a visit on WACH-Fox TV on its weekly “Inside the Roost” program Monday. Lattimore contends he is far ahead of scheduled in his recovery from surgery and a gruesome knee injury. This matches what he said last month when he visited the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.

Lattimore will not participate in any drills at the combine but he plans to start running the Monday after the combine and it’s “game on” from that point forward. It’s going to be interesting to see how Lattimore does. He’s been very upbeat despite multiple knee injuries throughout his college career. He would have been a likely first-round choice had it not been for this most recent injury. With any luck, he can remain healthy for a while.

Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs

Brad Biggs covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune